Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common syndromes among women these days. A polycystic ovarian syndrome is a health condition common in women of reproductive age caused by hormonal imbalance, irregular periods, obesity, acne, and excess hair growth. One in every 10 women in India suffers from PCOS, and out of every 10 women diagnosed with PCOS, 6 out of them teenage girls. This is the leading cause of infertility among women.
Stress, perennial tension, anxiety, unhealthy lifestyle, and depression are some of the common causes of PCOS. Stress is one of the major causes of PCOS syndrome which has been considered. According to experts, reducing stress and anxiety is the best treatment to give PCOS. The relaxing and rejuvenating power of yoga helps a great deal in managing PCOS symptoms as well because it helps in releasing the deep-rooted stress in the system. Yoga is one of the best exercises that help balance hormones by reducing androgens and encouraging egg production. It also helps to resolve some issues such as psychological problems, weight, and infertility. Here are 5 best yoga poses that are especially beneficial for the treatment of PCOS symptoms.
Yoga Poses for PCOS Treatment
1. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
This pose helps in improving blood circulation, reduces stress, for menstrual irregularities in women and opens up the chest and shoulders. It is also beneficial for respiratory disorders such as asthma.
To perform this pose:
- Lie on your abdomen with your legs stretched out and your chin and toes should be touching the floor.
- Your palms positioned under your shoulders.
- Breathe in slowly and lift your chest upward by straightening your arms.
- Hold this pose for 15-30 seconds or as long as you can.
- Do not overstretch yourself. Exhale slowly and take your body back to the original position.
- Repeat multiple times with a rest time of 15 seconds in the middle of each posture.
Note: If you are pregnant or having an ulcer, hernia or any back injury, then don’t try to perform this pose.
2. Butterfly Pose (Badhakonasana)
The benefits of this pose may include relief from menstrual problems and menopause symptoms. It reduces fatigue and helps in reducing tension and relieve menstrual pain.
To perform this pose:
- Sit on the ground with your spine erect and bend your knees and bring your feet together towards your pelvis area. The soles of your feet should touch each other.
- Grab your feet tightly with your hands and press your knees and thighs downward toward the ground.
- Now, start flapping both your legs up and down like the wings of a butterfly. Start slowly then increase the speed. Keep breathing all the time.
- Do this at least 20 times or more as you can.
Note: Don’t do this asana if you are suffering from knee injury or people with sciatica should completely avoid practicing this.
3. Reclining Butterfly Pose (Supta Badha Konasana)
This pose relaxes the body, mind, and soul while reductions in muscle tension give relief from anxiety and increase overall energy. It can also help to relieve symptoms of stress, insomnia, mild depression, menstruation, or menopause. This pose is also beneficial for pregnancy, as it helps to open up and energize the pelvic area.
To perform this pose:
- Lie down flat on your back in horizontal position with your legs and arms extended.
- Bend your knees and bring your heels towards your pelvis area. The soles of your feet should touch together and let your knees drop open to both sides.
- Keep your arms open on both sides with palms up.
- Slowly bring yourself down on to the floor and maintain the natural curve of the lower back and your head fully resting on the floor.
- Relax your buttocks and lengthen your tailbone toward your heels.
- Close your eyes and turn your awareness completely inward.
- Hold this position as long as you feel comfortable. Don’t force your body unnecessarily.
4. Boat Pose (Naukasana)
This pose helps to strengthen the back, abdominal muscles and improves digestion. It also puts controlled pressure in your abdominal region, raises blood flow to your reproductive organs and improves the functions of your ovaries.
To perform this pose:
- Sit on your mat with your legs straight and stretched out but together, and your arms at your sides.
- Press your hands on the floor just behind your hips.
- Breathe in and start to lift your legs, keeping them straight.
- Stretch your arms, feet, and toes and lift your legs as high as you can without bending your knees.
- Raise your arms to reach your toes and make a 45-degree angle with your body.
- Remain in this pose and keep breathing deeply for 15-30 seconds.
- Release the pose and let your breath out.
- Repeat this pose multiple times with a rest time of 15 seconds in the middle of each posture.
5. Mill Churning Pose (Chakki Chalasana)
This pose helps to normalize the functions of your reproductive organs. It helps to alter the functions of your endocrine gland, thus facilitating maximum hormonal secretion, and also it massages your uterus, reproductive organs, kidneys, liver, and pancreas.
- First, sit on the ground with your spine straight, arms raised at shoulder height and hands outstretched and palms clapped together.
- Now, breathe in deeply and start moving the upper part of your body in a circular motion making an imaginary circle with your body.
- Breathe in while moving forward and then let your breath out when you go backward.
- Keep breathing deeply while rotating and then feel the stretch in your arms, legs, and abdomen.
- You can make 15-20 rounds in a direction and the same rounds in the opposite direction.
Diet Tips for PCOS treatment
- Focus on fresh foods, protein, and vegetables.
- Take a balanced and healthy diet
- Avoid sugary and carbohydrate foods such as nuts, seeds, and olive oil, as they contain an essential fatty acid.
- Drink sufficient amount of water.
- Avoid junk, processed, fast foods, coffee, and alcohol.
- Avoid milk as well as milk products.
- Regular practice of Yoga and Meditation
Besides the above yoga poses, people suffering from PCOS can also practice pranayama or breathing exercises to get rid of stress naturally. The breathing practices like Kapalbhati, Anulom-Vilom and Bhramri Pranayama helps in relieving stress and reduce weight.
Most women, when diagnosed with PCOS at a very young age right after they attain teens, become confused and frustrated in their life. Regular practice of yoga and meditation can help to attain a disease-free body, a healthy and stress-free mind.
Now, don’t wait. Enjoy your yoga practice anywhere and have a great day! If you feel this post is very helpful to you then don’t remember to share your experience with us by commenting below. We would be happy to listen to you!